Cross Ride is an official term that refers to the act of riding a grade 3 unit on top of another grade 3 unit referenced in the new vanguard unit's text. All cross ride units share similar characteristics: they have 11000 base Power and gain 2000 Power (during both you and your opponent's turn) if their previous incarnation is present in the soul. Recently, with the release of Booster Set 9: Clash of the Knights & Dragons, newer crossride units do not lose 2000 Power should a non-clan be there. Instead, a new keyword, Lord replaces it.
Cross Riding is not always necessary to gain the full mileage from these units. They still gain their +2000 Power bonus if the previous version is put into the soul in another way.
Booster Set 12: Binding Force of the Black Rings introduced the concept of having a Cross Ride unit for a Break Ride unit, the first of this was Eradicator, Vowing Saber Dragon "Reverse". Cross Rides that function in this manner have been called "Crossbreak Ride" by the anime and fans, although they do not yet have this name officially.
List of Cards
- Cross Ride is a term originally used in the anime, with no mention in canon TCG material. However, since then, it has been introduced as a term in the official rulebook.
- The first two Cross Ride units, Dragonic Overlord the End and Phantom Blaster Overlord are currently the only Cross Rides that can use Persona Blast, and the only Cross Rides that don't have a Limit Break skill.
- With the release of the Break Ride version of Dragonic Overlord, the End is the first and currently the only Cross Break Ride without a Limit Break.
- The boss cards in Season 2 of the Cardfight!! Vanguard anime, namely Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel, Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion "THE BLOOD" and Blue Storm Supreme Dragon, Glory Maelstrom are the only Cross Rides who possesses a skill called Ultimate Break (denoted by the symbol LB5).
- Narukami is the first clan to feature three different Cross Rides, as well as the first Cross Break Ride.
- Nova Grappler currently has 5 Cross Ride units (two Cross Break Ride units going to the same unit), currently making it the clan that has the most Cross Ride units.
- Super Dimensional Robo, Daiyusha, Beast Deity, Ethics Buster, Blue Storm Dragon, Maelstrom, Silver Thorn Dragon Tamer, Luquier and both forms of Dragonic Overlord all have two Cross Ride forms, including a "Reverse" form given to them by Link Joker.
- Dragonic Overlord the End and Dragonic Overlord "The Яe-birth" are currently the only two units with two different units to crossride from, Dragonic Overlord and it's Break Ride counterpart.