|“||Emboldened by the vanguard's attack, a new unit joins in. That's drive check.||”|
"Drive" (ドライブ Doraibu) is referred to as the amount of drive checks your unit is able to peform while attacking. Aside from drawing effects and the draw phase, drive checks are the main way to increase the player's hand.
By default, only one drive check is prefomed per attack, however, it's possible to change the number of drive checks (usually stated as drive+n or drive-n). If your unit's drive becomes 0 or less, then no drive check can be performed.
Vanguards with the ability to stand themselves generally get a minus in drive as a way to prevent the player from drive checking too many cards. This has become more commonly seen in "Stride" G units. In older Grade 3 normal units, it loses "Twin Drive!!" instead, and thus, retains a single drive check.
Drive Check is a compulsory mechanic a player need to go through when their vanguard performs an attack. Drive Check happens during Drive Step (look at Standard Fight Rules for a more detailed info).
By default, only your vanguard (or Legion Leader) is able to perform drive checks when attacking, but it's also possible to have a rear-guard perform a drive check. In that case, the drive step applies to that unit.
A drive check is performed in the following form:
- Put the top card of your deck into trigger zone face up.
- If that card has a trigger effect, resolve all its actions immediately, in any order.
- After that, resolve all abilities that were activated by the drive check in any order.
- If the card is still in the trigger zone, put that card into your hand.
- After completing all actions, repeat this process as many times as the number of your attacking unit's drive checks.
In Skill icons
Currently, there are two skills which modify the normal amount of drive checks.
- Twin Drive!! : Increases the unit's drive check by 1.
- Triple Drive!!! : Increases the unit's drive check by 2.
Mechanics Related to Drive