"Trigger" (トリガー Torigā) is a card effect included on "Trigger Units", cards colored yellow. There are four trigger effects, and all tournament-legal trigger units are grade 0. During deck construction, a deck must contain exactly 16 trigger units, with a maximum of four heal triggers (even if they have different card names).
How it Works
- A trigger effect activates during a drive check or a damage check. A trigger check is performed by putting the top card of the player's deck into his or her trigger zone; if that card is a trigger unit, its "trigger effect" is applied immediately. After resolving all effects activated by the check, if the card is still in the trigger zone, it is put into its owner's determined zone, regardless of whether it has a trigger effect or not.
- Damage Check: Put that card face up into your damage zone.
- Drive Check: Put that card into your hand (this is not considered "drawing a card").
- When the player must check for multiple triggers at once, perform each trigger check separately before revealing the card for the next check. For example, if a player must perform two trigger checks and his first trigger check reveals a draw trigger, the player will draw one card before performing the second trigger check.
- To activate a trigger effect, the player who activated it must have at least 1 vanguard or rear-guard with the same clan as that trigger unit.
- Trigger effects always must be activated if possible. Therefore, if a heal trigger is activated, you must heal one damage if you fulfilled the condition, even if it causes an effect to disappear, such as a [CONT] Limit Break.
- Each trigger has two effects. One is always "Power+5000" and the other one depends on the type of trigger. The two effects from the trigger can be applied to the same unit or to two different units, regardless of their clans.
- If "Battleraizer" is revealed, and the player only has "Nova Grappler" units present, the trigger effect activates, choosing the rear-guard "Brutal Jack"- Standing it and give it +5000 power until end of turn.
- If "Grim Reaper" is revealed by "Alfred Early", if the player has a "Blaster Dark" rear-guard, the trigger effect activates since a Shadow Paladin unit is present- giving to "Blaster Dark" +5000 power and "Alfred Early" an extra critical until end of turn.
- If "Dragon Monk, Genjo" is revealed by "Mr. Invincible", but the player does not have any Kagero rear-guard present, the trigger effect cannot be activated as a result.
All triggers share the effect of increasing a unit's power by +5000, which lasts until end of that turn, and this effect is independent from the other trigger effect so it can be given to different units if the player wants to. Every trigger effect is resolved in the order the player likes.
- "Draw Trigger" : The player draws a card. It is noted by the color red.
- "Critical Trigger" : The player chooses one of his/her units and gives it critical+1 until the end of that turn. It is noted by the color yellow.
- "Heal Trigger" : The player chooses a card from his/her damage zone and puts it into his/her drop zone (this action is called "heal"). This can only be done if the player has equal or more damage than his/her opponent. It is noted by the color green.
- "Stand Trigger" : The player chooses one of his/her units, and if it's a rear-guard, changes it from rest to stand . It is noted by the color blue.
Frequently Asked Question
- Question: If I reveal a heal trigger while I have one damage and my opponent has two damage, can I heal?
Answer: No, since the heal trigger is in your trigger zone while its effect is being resolved.
- Question: If an effect causes that a card is put into a player's damage zone, is it a damage check?
Answer: Unless otherwise specified in that effect, it is not a damage check.
Keywords involving Trigger checks
List of Trigger Unit Support Cards
|Unbounded Colossus||Gear Chronicle||Gear Colossus|
|Chief Deity of the Heavens, Amaterasu||Oracle Think Tank||Noble||G unit (Stride)|
|Eclipse Dragonhulk, Jumble Dragon||Granblue||Skeleton||G unit (Stride)|
|Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru||Gear Chronicle||Gearoid||G unit (G guardian)|
List of Anti Support
|Planetary Corpse King, Brandt||Link Joker||Alien|
- With the introduction of Booster Set 11: Seal Dragons Unleashed, there are triggers that you can have up to sixteen copies in a deck, bypassing the usual rule of up to four copies in the deck. Currently, the only cards than can do this are Mass Production Sailor and Machining Cicada.
- In the Cardfight!! Vanguard Anime Season 1, Episode 2, It is shown that Aichi's Yggdrasil Maiden, Elaine has 6000 [Power]. This was either an accident, or Bushiroad was still considering at that moment whether a trigger should have the same power as normal Grade 0 units. It is also possible that the mistake was intentional, as Elaine's boost would allow Gallatin to reach 16000 [Power], enough to force a 10000 [Shield] by Kai when Dragonic Overlord was attacked.
- Starting with Booster Set 6: Breaker of Limits, every booster pack comes with one trigger unit per pack. This does not apply to Extra Boosters.
- In the manga, when the card revealed by a check is not a trigger, it is called "blank trigger".